Walter A. Sheaffer received a patent for a novel filling mechanism for fountain pens. This
was for the very versatile lever filler. It is simple, unobtrusive and does a great job of
filling a pen. In 1912 he started production of fountain pens and in very early 1913 the
company was opened.
This lever filler was the first of their many innovations in the pen business. In 1924 the company was the first to use plastic in the bodies of their pens. Streamlining, pump fillers, snorkel fillers and many other innovations followed. The Sheaffer Company has made dozens of different models over the years. The pens are all of good to high quality and always compete favorably with the other high end pen companies of the time.